1. Have one litter box per cat plus one.
2. Put litter boxes in separate locations.
3. Use clumping, unscented litter.
4. Use large, uncovered litter boxes.
5. Scoop twice a day.
6. Discard litter and wash the boxes with soap and water at least monthly.
7. Replace all litter boxes once a year.
8. Locate the litter boxes in areas easily accessible to the cats but away from areas where people are busy.
9. Use enzymatic cleaners to clean all surfaces where cats have urinated or defecated.
10. Don't attempt to punish the cat.